Cobham Bottom Lake Project
The Cobham Bottom Lake project is now underway, after a long delay due to Covid-19.
In preparation for the main works, to be undertaken by contractors Land and Water, some TWAPS members have been clearing parts of the site and draining the lake.
Dennis Hammond, Project Manager and Chairman and Gary Bushell, Head Bailiff
4th October 2021.
- 29/09/21 dewatering started and continued until 18/10/21.
- 11/10/21 de-silting machinery arrived.
- 12/10/21 de-silting bunds created.
- 13/10/21 de-silting starts and finishes 21/10/21.
- 22/10/21 safety orange netting and notices installed to identify exclusion area.
- 24/10/21 Bottom lake filling up.
- 26/10/21 10 am. Top and Middle lakes opened to members.
The above is a very short précis of the work carried out. There were many issues that came to light and had to be discussed before work could continue.
One thing discovered was that, under the hard clay bottom in the middle of the Pond is an estimated 5-6 feet of Thanet sand and water which was left well alone!!
- When Bottom lake reaches its natural level, banks to be stabilised as required.
- New swims will then be put in place.
- Aquatic vegetation will be introduced.
- Fish stocking to be put to Membership and then stock acquired.
Timescales are difficult to assess, as some will be dependent on weather, species availability, silt deposit areas drying out, etc.
It is hoped that it will be ready for the 2023/2024 season.
Members will be kept informed as progress continues.Please revisit this page from time to time for further updates.
Dennis Hammond, Project Manager and Chairman
24th October 2021
Please revisit this page from time to time for further updates.